S o after hours and hours of using Big Blue, I’m sick of its official theme. Like its nice and it does the job, but I wanted something more. Big Blue being a small front-end in terms of usage and coverage, there is pretty much no one making themes. So I decided to get my hands dirty and give it a crack. BB’s themes are based on XML, and despite having very very limited options, I’ve managed to come up with a few themes that I’m quite happy with.
Street Fighter III: Third Strike (3S) is an amazing game, it’s presentation in style, music and just visual flair is top-tier. One of the few things that really stuck with me, and probably everyone who has played it, is the character select screen. It had this weird mix of a jazz fusion soundtrack with hip-hop undertones which 3S has been identified with ever since – and the character select screen is a perfect example of this. Give it a listen here. I’ve never played a fighting game where the music literally tells you “Select and make your first pick” and “Choose and pick the best one” let alone reference the game itself. Catchy as as hell.
My theme is based on this iconic screen. I’ve tried my best to match the visual elements of the menu, sound effects and all, working within the restrains of BB theme system. I’ve made 2 versions of theme, one for widescreen 1080p displays and another for 480p CRTs. Check below for instructions and a download link!
- To install the theme, simply extract the two folders into your ‘themes’ folder.
- The total theme size is around 80mb, due to the size of the .wav’s used for the music.
- You’ll have to delete my lists and recreate your own.
- You’ll need to go into the Big Blue config setup, and disable video audio (this isn’t defined in the theme)
- If you want to change the background music to something else, just replace bgmusic.wav with what ever you want.